Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Week 11

This lesson is all about the most dangerous weapon in the world; the human tongue. Why would it be called a dangerous weapon? Because more people have been destroyed by the tongue than any other weapon because of its powerful destructive abilities.

Honestly, these verses have been a brick wall for me because of their content. I can’t talk anymore without feeling convicted. That’s good….

I am guilty.

Before the multitude of medical tests were available that doctors run these days, a doctor would have a patient stick out their tongue. The condition of the tongue could diagnose the patient’s illness. For instance, a reddish tongue means the patient is fighting an infection and has a fever. A white coated tongue meant that the patient was allergic to a particular food they had been eating. A purple tongue indicated that the circulatory system was not working and blood flow was stagnant. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could stick out our tongue and we could diagnose our spiritual condition!

Verse 1 My brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

In verse 1 of chapter 3, the word tongue is not mentioned, but the verse does mean that since a teacher uses their tongue in teaching the Scripture, there is added responsibility before God and to her students.

I know I have said this before, but I started teaching because it holds me accountable to learn. I let my students know that I am literally a student teacher because I learn as I go. So if you are in my class, I make it clear that I am learning along with you and by no means do I know it all and have it all together.

To the contrary. It sounds like I am just trying to feel better about this verse!

This verse says that Kelly and I will receive a harsher judgment than those who do not teach. Wouldn’t it be easier to just not teach so that I wouldn’t have to worry about judgment day? I think Kelly would agree with me that if we would stop teaching and be disobedient to God, that would result in misery far greater. I feel that obedience comes first and as long as we or any other teacher is teaching Truth, we don’t have to worry about judgment day.

1 Cor 14:9 Unless you speak clearly with your tongue, no one will understand what you are saying.

So as teachers we are to speak the Word clearly so that it is understood.

But James tells us that it is not just about teaching the Word, it is about doing the word. If I just teach it, and fail to practice it, then I will receive a heavier judgment.

This is likened to having a stroke to wake you up to the condition of your physical body before having a heart attack!

God is waking me up to the condition of my spiritual heart before I cause a forest fire of destruction.

That’s when I realize, this is serious. Do you see this repeated message here? Doers and not just professors. (Those who just profess their faith, but don’t practice it? )

The teacher has to obey…not just standing up there teaching what the Word says…but doing what she is teaching. That puts a whole new angle to it.

Verse 2 We all make mistakes. If people never said anything wrong, they would be perfect and able to control their entire selves, too.

We are all prone to stumble (sin). But if you can control your tongue, you are a disciplined person who can control your whole body.

I think we would all agree that we are not perfect and never will be and I truly believe that our desire is not to sin. But discipline is tough. And for the most part we don’t like discipline. We know that the more we tell our body NO, the more resistant it becomes.

This verse is saying, that if you can control your tongue, you will be able to control all the other aspects of your life. Diet, exercise, behavior, mood, ..…….can you think of others that you have lost control of?

Becoming the woman God created you to be means to continue striving for perfection, continue striving for spiritual discipline, continue striving for spiritual maturity.

Verses 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 gives us metaphors to explain how amazingly powerful the tongue can be.
First James compares the tongue to a bridle. A bridle harnesses the horse’s head and holds the bits in the horse’s mouth. Connected to the bit are the reigns. The person holding the reigns control the bit, thereby controlling the behavior of the horse.


Who is holding the reigns that control your tongue – which in turn controls your behavior? You are, of course.

A ship’s rudder is the same way. Although very small like the bit in the horse’s mouth. When the rudder is turned, it controls the direction of the ship. But who controls the rudder? …the captain is. You are the captain of your ship.

Just like the tongue is very small compared to your body, it can control a lot about who you are.

A match can begin a brush fire because the fire is contagious. This brush fire turns into a forest fire. A small match could destroy an entire forest.

The tongue’s potential for destroying an entire family, an entire church, and entire city, not only is possible, it has been done.

Verse 6 – And the tongue is like a fire. It is a whole world of evil among the parts of our bodies. The tongue spreads its evil through the whole body. The tongue is set on fire by hell, and it starts a fire that influences all of life.

The Greek word for hell here is gehenna. It refers to the valley of Hinnom where the fire never went out. I have never seen a forest fire, but I have read that they sometimes have to burn themselves out to stop . I believe it is only us that can make the choice today to stop our burning tongues.

The tongue is like a fire. When it is under control it is pleasing to God, when it is out of control it is pleasing to satan.

Proverbs 12:18 Careless words stab like a sword, but wise words bring healing.

3:7 People can tame every kind of wild animal, bird, reptile, and fish, and they have tamed them, 8 but no one can tame the tongue. It is wild and evil and full of deadly poison.

How much poison does it take to die? Milligram?

I am guilty. I talk too much. I justify it by saying if I don’t talk about it, I’ll lose my mind. God gave us a tongue for which to use to glorify Him. It is all about HIM. I can talk but in a disciplined controlled manner pointing people to HIM!

It scares me to think that I may have been a part of destroying someone or something because of what I have said. It would be completely heart wrenching to be shown on a video what the rippling effects were of something that I said to someone. I may have killed/murdered someone with my words.

If I say something during my teaching that is from the pit of hell, tell me. We are to a place in this class where we should speak to each other in love, to help each other stop the destructive path the tongue can take and get our tongues on the perfect path.

Verse 9 We use our tongues to praise our Lord and Father, but then we curse people, whom God made like himself. 10 Praises and curses come from the same mouth! My sisters, this should not happen! I am guilty over and over. Be careful.

Then in verses 11 and 12, James uses metaphors to tell us exactly what our tongues are doing.

11 Do good and bad water flow from the same spring? 12 My sisters, can a fig tree make olives, or can a grapevine make figs? No! And a well full of salty water cannot give good waters.

There have been so many emotions running through my head as I have been preparing this lesson. I realized that I have a whole lot of tongue control exercising that I need to begin. And no excuses.

So let’s spend the rest of the time naming these excuses and committing them to Christ. For as we know, it is only through Christ will we ever get control over any out of control member of our body.

  1. Lord, I ask you to make my speech consistently impeccable. (not capable of sinning or liable to sin – Webster!) Synonyms: flawless, faultless, immaculate, free from imperfection, unblemished! Sounds like we are called to be perfect!

    Lev 22:21 - (speaking of the sacrificial lamb) it must be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no defect in it.

    Matthew 5:48 Therefore, you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
  2. Lord I ask you to stop me when I give advice to others for things I do not have control over myself. Did you know that the things that bother you the most about others, especially your children, are the things that you do not have control of in your own life?
  3. Lord I want to stop criticizing and judging others behind their back because of my own insecurities and fears.
  4. Lord, make my speech consistently clear, clean, and edifying. Clear – meaning that our speech is not filled with useless words mixed with gossip, or a slant to make me look good. Clean – no slang, slurs, or vulgar words. Edifying means to instruct or improve spiritually.
  5. Lord help me to no longer exaggerate a story just to impress people.
  6. Lord help me to always tell the truth even if it makes me feel rejected, uncomfortable, or different from the crowd.
  7. Lord help me not to change my speech in the presents of a different crowd just to fit in.
  8. When I talk, Lord, make my words be Your words not my words. Help me to point my words back to YOUR Word.

Ask yourself these three questions before you speak.

  1. Is it true?
  2. Is it kind?
  3. Is it necessary?

Also, ask yourself: Am I a part of the problem or a part of the solution? If not, then stay out of it.

This next statement might help us get our tongue under control. Put it on your refrigerator and let’s make bracelets out of this one:

God Bugs My Conversations!
He listens to our every conversation. Not just when we are praying, but every thing that comes out of our mouth and out of our heart as well.

People know you by your words:
Matthew 12:33-37 If you want good fruit, you must make the tree good. If your tree is not good, it will have bad fruit. A tree is known by the kind of fruit it produces. 34 You snakes! You are evil people, so how can you say anything good? The mouth speaks the things that are in the heart. 35 Good people have good things in their hearts, and so they say good things. But evil people have evil in their hearts, so they say evil things. 36And I tell you that on the Judgment Day people will be responsible for the careless thing they have said. 37 The words you have said will be used to judge you. Some of your words will prove you right, but some of your words will prove you guilty.

I don’t have another thing to say!

j

No comments: