Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 16

Week 15 Homework Review
January 23, 2008

Wow, we are halfway through studying the book of Proverbs and “The Way to Go Lightly” class. We are just now starting to become aware of the sin that so easily entangles us and stops us from replicating our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:1 THEREFORE THEN, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us.

Replicating Jesus is what life for a believer is all about because that is what Jesus did when He Himself walked the earth. If we are acting in any other fashion other than like Jesus, we are replicating the world.

Look closer at the Hebrews 12:1 verse. Sin readily clings to us and entangles us if we choose to let it. Eve chose to be disobedient. God gave her the choice. God gives us the choice. Every day we choose to act according to God’s Word or we choose to act according to entanglement that satan binds us with.

Our theme verse:

1 Thessalonians 5: 23, 24 says: (Amplified) And may the God of peace Himself sanctify you through and through [separate you from profane things, make you pure and wholly consecrated to God]; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved sound and complete [and found] blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ

As you study today’s lesson, ask for God to continue to mold your spirit, soul and body as you strive to become the woman He has created you to be.

Spiritual Healing comes from studying the Word of God
Homework for Proverbs Chapter 15
Due January 23, 2008

1. vs 1 There is a 100% guarantee that if you give a gentle answer to an angry person’s attack, it will calm them, but if you answer with and unkind response, it will cause them to be more angry.

Site an example of a time when this happened personally to you. Both the gentle you and the unkind you. Which example is harder for you to remember????
I think the main reason it is harder to think of the gentle you is because those responses happen less often. It is also easier to have a gentler response to an outsider than a family member. As we grow more like Christ, our answers should become more gentle regardless of who makes us angry and the reason is because everyone is looking for “the Way” to go in life. The lost are watching us.

2. vs 3 What can you hide from the Lord? The Lord is watching everything and everywhere. Notice: he is watching evil and good. Are you displaying the Kingdom of Heaven or the kingdom of satan?

Jeremiah 16:17 “My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from my presence, nor is their iniquity concealed from my sight”.

2 Chronicles 16:9 The eyes of the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.

3. vs 4 As a tree gives fruit, healing words give life, but dishonest words crush the spirit. (NCV) You might have an example of how healing the words of a doctor were when they said, “Everything is fine”, or how healing it is for someone to hug you and say, “It’ll be OK”. We all need to receive as well as give healing words to others. What words will you use this week to make your fruit ripen?

List 10 healing words and start saying them. WAY to GO!

Love, security, proud, safe, understand, peace, trust, warmth, protected, hope, sympathy, comfort.

4. vs 7 Ever think about what lips are for? Why did God create lips? (protection: the lips and the teeth both can stop the tongue from working – two barriers to stop the tongue. Perhaps God knew how wicked the tongue can be) What happens when your lips are open and moving? (The guard comes down) When they are closed? (The guard is in place) What is an example of what good can come from lips? (Protection – keep your lips together and see how hard it is to talk). Proverbs 8:6Listen, for I will speak of excellent things, And from the opening of my lips will come right things;

5. vs 10 There is severe disciplines for anyone who quits doing what is right and forsakes “the way”! What does “die” mean in this verse?

At first a born again Christian refuses correction for not choosing to follow the Way, that makes him unteachable (she who hates correction) refusing to learn from it. . which leads to death. They will die -
Genesis 2:17but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die

John 6:50This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die

John 8:24Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.John 11:26And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
Romans 5:6[ Christ in Our Place ] For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Romans 5:8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

Romans 6
1WHAT SHALL we say [to all this]? Are we to remain in sin in order that God's grace (favor and mercy) may multiply and overflow?
2Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer?
3Are you ignorant of the fact that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
4We were buried therefore with Him by the baptism into death, so that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious [power] of the Father, so we too might [habitually] live and behave in newness of life.
5For if we have become one with Him by sharing a death like His, we shall also be [one with Him in sharing] His resurrection [by a new life lived for God].
6We know that our old (unrenewed) self was nailed to the cross with Him in order that [our] body [which is the instrument] of sin might be made ineffective and inactive for evil, that we might no longer be the slaves of sin.
7For when a man dies, he is freed (loosed, delivered) from [the power of] sin [among men].
8Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
9Because we know that Christ (the Anointed One), being once raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has power over Him.
10For by the death He died, He died to sin [ending His relation to it] once for all; and the life that He lives, He is living to God [in unbroken fellowship with Him].
11Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus.
12Let not sin therefore rule as king in your mortal (short-lived, perishable) bodies, to make you yield to its cravings and be subject to its lusts and evil passions.
13Do not continue offering or yielding your bodily members [and [a]faculties] to sin as instruments (tools) of wickedness. But offer and yield yourselves to God as though you have been raised from the dead to [perpetual] life, and your bodily members [and [b]faculties] to God, presenting them as implements of righteousness.
14For sin shall not [any longer] exert dominion over you, since now you are not under Law [as slaves], but under grace [as subjects of God's favor and mercy].
15What then [are we to conclude]? Shall we sin because we live not under Law but under God's favor and mercy? Certainly not!
16Do you not know that if you continually surrender yourselves to anyone to do his will, you are the slaves of him whom you obey, whether that be to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience which leads to righteousness (right doing and right standing with God)?
17But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed.
18And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, and action).
19I am speaking in familiar human terms because of your natural limitations. For as you yielded your bodily members [and [c]faculties] as servants to impurity and ever increasing lawlessness, so now yield your bodily members [and [d]faculties] once for all as servants to righteousness (right being and doing) [which leads] to sanctification.
20For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21But then what benefit (return) did you get from the things of which you are now ashamed? [None] for the end of those things is death.
22But now since you have been set free from sin and have become the slaves of God, you have your present reward in holiness and its end is eternal life.
23For the wages which sin pays is death, but the [bountiful] free gift of God is eternal life through (in union with) Jesus Christ our Lord.

Synonyms to the word Die: perish, pass away, leave this world, depart, come to one’s end, go the way of the flesh, go to one’s Maker, meet one’s Maker, come to an end, lose power, stop, yearn for (I’d die to) be eager, be anxious, desire greatly, be consumed with desire,
To die means to relinquish your life. To die is to cease to live (the way you were before).
1 Corinthians 15:31[I assure you] by the pride which I have in you in [your fellowship and union with] Christ Jesus our Lord, that I die daily [I face death every day and die to self].

Would someone please tell me what is meant by dieing to self?
When I looked in the concordance to see what the word self meant I found words like self-confidence, self-control, selfish, self-love, self-righteous, self-satisfied
We must die to this following which are definitions of the above words: vanity, hypocritical, holier-than-thou, miserly, mean, wrapped up in oneself.
When I die my physical death, I do not want anyone to say words like:
She died of cancer or some type of physical ailment. That simply doesn’t get it for a Christ follower.

I want them to say, She lived for Jesus! Isn’t that what it’s all about?
And I do not want to hear a Christian say they are dying of anything other than their “self”. Live my friend. LIVE!

6. vs 13 Happiness makes a person smile, (a glad heart makes the face cheerful (speaking of lips…hint hint). Sadness can break the spirit (a broken heart crushes the spirit. What does this mean to you and give an example.

7. vs 13 Do you know of someone that is physically sick because they have a broken heart? Are you? Vs 13 says: …but by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken. When I read that verse I know how easily your spirit (defined: your get-up-and-go can get-up-and leave) can be broken. But we must remember the power that resides within us is real.

8. Romans 15:13Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit

We serve a God of hope; our spirit need not ever be broken although we are in a constant bombardment of the power of satan. Do not allow this but instead call on the power of the Holy Spirit.

9. vs 15 is great! Everyday for the poor is hard. Does this mean financially poor? Well the second half of that verse explains that instead it is talking about what? Happy heart Include vs 16 in your answer. It is better to have little than to have turmoil in your life.

Pessimist versus an optimist. A pessimist is always looking at the negative in everything. She is quick-tempered, fearful, and negative. An optimist is always looking at the glass half full. She is even-keel and enjoys life.

10. vs 17 is my argument for eating a vegetable diet. Notice I didn’t say; vegetarian. There are a lot of professed vegetarians that simply do not eat meat, but don’t eat vegetables at all, just a lot of junk. Shouldn’t they be called nonmeatjunkatarians? My point???? Eat God’s food regardless of the confusion and influence of the world’s “healthy” diets!

11. Do you have a quick temper? Perhaps there is bottled up anger inside you. Vs 18 (NRS) - Those who are hot-tempered stir up strife, but those who are slow to anger stop a quarrel. Do the research into your hidden chambers.

Jeremiah 22:13Woe to him who builds his house by unrighteousness and his [upper (hidden)] chambers by injustice

Are there buried hurts, pains or unforgiveness in your hidden chambers? Remember what the only thing is that can wash your hidden chambers clean?

Hebrews 10:22Let us all come forward and draw near with true (honest and sincere) hearts in unqualified assurance and absolute conviction engendered by faith (by that leaning of the entire human personality on God in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness), having our hearts sprinkled and purified from a guilty (evil) conscience and our bodies cleansed with pure water

God’s Word is alive and sharper than a two-edged sword.

12. vs 23 Conviction L ? Women enjoy giving “good” advice. A word spoken at the right time is a timely word! Keep those lips zipped!

I have to work on that. J

13. vs 24 (NKJ) “The Way” of life winds upward for the wise, that he may turn away from ___hell__________below. I like the (NCV): Wise people’s lives get better and better. They avoid whatever would cause their death. Do not live a dead life!

Don’t overlook this. WISE choices help us to be on the journey towards physical health. This is speaking of physical death.

In sticking with what we have learned so far answer the following questions: What causes spiritual death? Rejecting Jesus as your personal savior.

What causes mental death? – living in the past and trying to change things you have no control over.

What causes physical death? Vs 24 – making unwise choices.

14. vs 28 (NRS) The mind of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil.

Define ponder: consider, meditate, give thought to - in other words, think before you allow your lips to move.

Look up another verse regarding the mouth: There are over 300 of them so it won’t be hard to find one!

Proverbs 13:3 He who guards his mouth keeps his life, but he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin

John 9:31 Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him.

When a person says: “You are putting words into my mouth”, what exactly does that mean? Could there be some blame shifting going on here?

15. vs 30 Where does your happiness show? Where does the LIGHT of your heart show through? What makes for good health? Is there a connection between the spirit, mind, and body?

This is very tough. The outside of a man reflexed the inside unless you have been training yourself to pretend everything is OK.

Numbers 24:9He couched, he lay down as a lion; and as a lioness, who shall rouse him? Blessed [of God] is he who blesses you [who prays for and contributes to your welfare] and cursed [of God] is he who curses you [who in word, thought, or deed would bring harm upon you].

16. vs 31 (NLT) If you listen to constructive criticism you will be at home with the wise. 32 If you reject criticism, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.

Define listen: to make the effort to hear! Antonyms: to ignore

Define constructive: helpful, productive, practical, handy, useful, beneficial, advantageous, valuable. Does that describe me?

Define criticism: to find fault with, disapprove of;

Define correction: rectify, improvement, change, alteration,

Define wise: having good judgment knowledgeable, discerning.

Define understanding: knowledge, comprehension, appreciation, sympathetic,

Now summarize vs 31 and 32 in your own words: If you are wise you will listen to the correction of the wise. Mainly from the word. If a woman won’t listen to the instruction of the wise, she will is not wise.

~*~

You have been given a copy of a nutrition type magazine. Read at least one article and be prepared to report your findings to the class. Part of changing is to expose yourself to magazines and books that teach you. Make a decision to educate yourself. I have plenty of books to lend out. J

This letter came this week from one of our group attendees. I have reprinted it in order for us to pray for her.

HI-
If you want to pass this out that is appreciated. I need all the prayer I can get! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

When I did the study last week there was a question about "what is your cross". The one that came to mind may not seem like a cross to some but for me it is smoking. I have smoked on and off for years. I won't go into all the details but I started again about 4 years ago when my mom was in the hospital dying of lung cancer. (oxy moron, huh?) I tend to go back to it any time there is a level of stress that I am uncomfortable with when, in my heart, I know I should go to the Lord. It may sound crazy but in some strange way I feel a bond with my mom when I smoke. I miss her terribly. God delivered me once from this addiction 14 years ago and I know He is strong and mighty to do it again! Because of my disobedience I think He wants more from me this time. Some tell me it is not a sin and it won't send me to hell. Maybe not, but the torture in my mind and heart feels a bit like hell! Torture knowing I am not taking care of the temple, torture knowing that God wants more for me, that He wants me to/has commanded me to stop. It is one of those things the Word talks about that may not be a problem for some - God may not speak to all smokers the way He has talked to me. Hope this all makes sense!

I have a challenge on the table and it is going to take My Lord and the prayers of my old and new friends to have victory in this area. Our youngest boys have always hated my smoking and tend to be quite verbal about it. Especially since they learn in school what it can do to people and that it is a drug. Last night they came up with a "deal" for me. Our 6 yr. old, Joshua, was very upset when I stopped to buy a pack. He grabbed me and hugged me and said, "I don't want you to smoke and die!" He continued to be upset all the way home. As we neared home our 8 yr. old, Zachariah, said, "Mom, Josh and I have a deal for you. Starting on Sunday you quit smoking for 3 weeks. While we're at school Daddy is going to watch you (we work at the same place), we're going to tell your boss and everyone you work with to keep an eye out." (I have quit before and do fine on the weekends but I work with a lot of smokers and it tends to be a stressful environment so I justify it and start smoking there again.) When my husband or the boys say anything I tend get defensive and more determined to do what I want to do! This time I immediately felt like I CAN DO this. I want to do this. I know it is time. I see the hurt in their eyes. I see the wedge it has put between my husband & I. I see the report from the Dr. regarding my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. The truth is I can't do it but God can with the Holy Spirit and the power of prayer warriors like you!


3 weeks happens to be 21 days which is what they claim it takes to create a new habit. Smoking is an addiction, yes, but it is also a very habitual thing. I smoke when I am on the phone, driving, after I eat, etc. I need to create new habits for these times so that the desire will be minimized. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for welcoming me into the group and for your transparency. It has given me the courage to be transparent regarding this issue. I covet your prayers and welcome any suggestions/encouragement. My number is [please contact joanie or kelly--i didn't want to put her number on the internet] if the Spirit moves you to call before Wed. when you'll have the contact list.

In His Shadow-
Kelly R



Homework, Proverbs Chapter 16
Due January 30, 2007


Question – If you would, close your eyes and go to a very quiet place in your mind. Imagine yourself “living” what you would consider a “perfect life”. Write down your very first thoughts. Do not try to sound religious or put down what you think I want to hear. Be honest and do not be afraid to write what you really, truly feel and think.

1. 16:1 (NCV) People may make plans in their minds, but only the Lord can make them come true.

(NLT) We can gather our thoughts, but the Lord gives the right answer.

Now, knowing what Proverbs 16:1 says, look back at what you wrote and then write yourself a note from God:

My dear daughter: I, the Lord can make your perfect life come true. You have gathered your thoughts, now allow me to give you the right answer as to how I want your life to be perfect. For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11 Your Father, God

2. 16:2 Sometimes we believe we are doing the right thing, but what is your motive for doing what you are doing? Self recognition? Selfish motives? NRS – All one’s ways may be pure in one’s eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit. Please take time this week to dig into your motives for doing what you are doing.

3. 16:3 Look up the word commit – then determine if you “commit whatever you do to the Lord.

4. 16:5 define pride. _________________________________________
define punished ___________________________________________
Are we fearful of being punished? _______________________________

5. vs 6 Fear and respecting the Lord…we see this again. We are called to love …show mercy…have faithfulness…These things will cover sin. Why?

6. vs 8 Why is that we continue to strive for more money and more things? Maybe to cover the bills? My husband and I recently met with a Christian financial advisor. We were amazed at how little we knew about different aspects of our finances. Are your finances glorifying God?

7. vs 9 I love this verse and it is important to keep this posted so that we stop thinking we have any control over our own steps. Give an example of a time when you made a plan, but the Lord had you walk a different path.

8. vs 16 My neighbor told me that years ago her son invested $40K in silver. Today it is worth a few dollars. What good is gold and silver if you are unwise and ignorant? Proverbs is about becoming wise. Never ever give up trying to apply the principles given in this amazing book.

9. vs 17 The Way to Go Light women avoids evil by __________
vs 18 Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. Somewhere along the line we combined this verse to say, Pride goes before the fall, but take time to look deeper into this verse and determine what it is saying to you by defining pride, destruction, haughty and spirit.

10. vs 20 The older I get the more I realize that the only place to find blessed assurance is with the truths in God’s Word. Man’s advise will fail you every time. Elaborate on this statement with vs 20.

11. vs 24 Kind words, kind words, kind words are like honey. What else do kind words, kind words, kind words do? (previous vs) Health comes from kind words. Try finding 10 kind words….write them out…say them 20 times!!!! And see how much healthier you feel.

12. vs 28 Are you a perverse, troublemaker? Gossip? Plant seeds of strife?

13. vs 31 Gray hair…(whohoo) is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a righteous life! Personally gray hair makes me look old and feel old. Is there vanity in that statement? Did Solomon have gray hair? Why would he say this? J

14. vs 32 Find another verse in Scripture very similar to this. Biblegateway.com Slow to anger...are you getting there?

15. I love vs 33! Even something as simple as throwing dice, the Lord knows the outcome!



Physical Healing

Are you ready to give your reports?

Education is so important but just like any knowledge coming your way, you always determine if it is truth. In the health arena, you will be told many deceptions based on weak studies that are geared to a certain outcome.

Before spending a bunch of money on medicines, supplements or vitamins, try to eat the fruit of every seed bearing plant for which God created for your health.

The information on the following pages was researched for a member of our group that wants to stop smoking. God does not say in His word specifically that smoking cigarettes is a sin, but He does say that although everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial.

1 Corinthians 6:12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

Should you have questions regarding more God made herbs or foods that are beneficial is helping you stop smoking, please contact me at dlewis115@cfl.rr.com.

Smoking – is not a sin. Read to the end of this report to find out what sin smoking creates in a born-again Christ follower.

Tobacco smoke contains thousands of chemical constituents but the one that is so addictive to the Christ follower is nicotine. Nicotine acts as a stimulant on the central nervous system; when nicotine is ingested, adrenaline production increases, raising the blood pressure and heart rate. Nicotine also affects the overall metabolic rate, the regulation of body temperature, the degree of tension in the muscles, and the levels of certain hormones. These and other metabolic changes create a pleasurable sensation in the Christian user, and she “feels” a false sense of security, relaxation and love.

This false sensation is one of the factors that makes tobacco so addictive. Another is the fact that tolerance to the effects of nicotine develops quite rapidly. That is, the dose needed to achieve the desired effect begins to rise almost immediately, encouraging you to increase the amount you smoke—which in turn increases the likelihood of addiction. Once you become addicted, your body depends on the presence of nicotine. If you then refrain from smoking, withdrawal symptoms occur. These include irritability, frustration, anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, increased appetite, headache, stomach cramps, a slowed heart rate a rise in blood pressure, and most of all, an intense craving for nicotine.

The smoking habit is difficult to break. It is harder to overcome tobacco addiction than a heroin or cocaine addition. This is because smoking creates both physical and psychological dependency. It seems to be easier to overcome the physical addiction but the psychological dependency or concerns are never addressed. Acute physical withdrawal lasts for a limited period of time, usually no more than several weeks, but the psychological dependency require the ongoing journey found only through continuous reinforcement from your Creator.

By the time you have become addicted to nicotine, the act of smoking itself has become a false source of pleasure, and it may be so intertwined in your mind with other activities – having your morning coffee, taking breaks at work, reading, after the kids have gone to bed, working, the smell, socializing, whatever—that you find yourself unable to imagine engaging in those activities without a cigarette in hand. In addition, smoking provides a convenient excuse for taking a momentary break, especially during times of stress, and may help to smooth over awkward moments. Many times the believer is afraid of what might happen if they stopped; they fear withdrawal symptoms, weight gain, or a decreased ability to concentrate. All of these factors combine to make quitting difficult.

Obvious health reasons to quit: Cigarettes cause more than 25% of deaths in the US. Tobacco smoking causes an estimated one third of all cancer deaths, one fourth of fatal heart attacks, and 85 percent of deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It accounts for at least 85 percent of lung cancer cases. Man other health problems have been linked to smoking as well, including angina, arteriosclerosis, cataracts, chronic bronchitis, colorectal cancer, diarrhea, emphysema, heartburn, high blood pressure, peptic ulcers, respiratory ailments, urinary incontinence, circulatory ailments, cancer of the mouth and a higher increase risk towards cold.

A single pinhead drop of nicotine can kill you. You are choosing to kill yourself when you smoke.

Women smokers experience menopause earlier, face a greater risk of osteoporosis after menopause, have a high risk of developing cervical or uterine cancer.

The Good News is with God all things are possible. Your body is a gift and a precious one at that. Health cannot be bought. Destroying this precious gift you have been given is an insult to the Giver of your eternal life.

Not So Obvious Reason to Stop - The only true reason to stop is that the Bible says that we are to honor God with our body.

1 Corinthians 6:20 You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

This is not an option but a command. You were bought with a price. That price was His body. The cross He bore for you was for your eternal salvation.

The other good news is that within 24 hours of your obedience to stop smoking, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal, your oxygen and carbon monoxide in your blood will return to normal and within a week your risk of heart attack begin to decrease, your senses of smell and taste improve, and breathing becomes easier.

The body will heal if given the right environment.

Herbs from your Creator to help stop smoking:

Catnip, hops, skullcap, and valerian root – will help reduce anxiety and stress, slippery elm relieves lung congestion and coughs.

Foods from your Creator to help stop smoking:

Asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, sweet potatoes, and turnips. Whole grains, raw almonds, sunflower seeds, brown rice, deep orange and yellow vegetables, like carrots, pumpkin, squash and yams. Apples, berries, Brazil nuts, cantaloupe, cherries, grapes, legumes (chickpeas, lentils and red beans), onion garlic, and beets.

Do not consume animal protein except wild caught fish (salmon or white fish). No sugar, white flour products, coffee and caffeinated teas. Herbal teas with above herbs is recommended.

The acute craving for a cigarette usually lasts only 3 – 5 minutes. Focusing on this fact may make it easier to wait it out. Get busy and do something else beside “think” about having a cigarette. When cravings strike, go for a walk, listen to music, or call 911 (a sister in Christ).

Drink plenty of distilled or reverse osmosis water to begin cleansing your body of the built-up toxins that remain inside you.

A More Excellent Way – author Henry Wright suggests that cigarette addictions are tooted in lack of self-esteem and insecurity and the need to be loved. The mouth, and whatever you put in it, is mistaken for emotional security.

Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, were [indeed] called to freedom; only [do not let your] freedom be an incentive to your flesh and an opportunity or excuse [for selfishness], but through love you should serve one another.

When you smoke you are being selfish. Selfishness is a sin. Below is a devotional that seemed to apply with tonight’s lesson.

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, BUT WE ARE LOOKING TO YOU"

II Chronicles 20:12 Need direction? If you need guidance today, here are 7 steps you can take.

1. Clear the channel: Repent and receive forgiveness. Sin, such as bad habits and attitudes, hinder communication with God. Second: Be willing to set aside your personal desires and be open to God.

2. Be patient: Listen: "Do not be impatient. Wait for the Lord" . Listen again, "Let none that wait on thee be ashamed" . Do not give in to self-generated urgency. Let God open the door for you!

3. Beware of external pressures: These usually come from your present circumstances, or from those who had impose their agenda on you. Sift all advice through God's Word.

4. Watch out for internal pressures. These are triggered by old messages, and manifest themselves as fear of loss, or exaggerated expectations.

5. Persist in prayer. The Bible says, "Pray without ceasing". God's goal is to bring you into His likeness, and He uses prayer to do it. Prayer is not for God's benefit; it is for yours! He already knows what you should do, as you persevere in prayer He will reveal it to you.

6. Search the Scriptures. Read and digest God's Word. It is an unfailing source of wisdom. It cuts through the clutter and filters out whatever is not of God.

7. Wait for peace. Listen: "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" . Peace is the umpire that should settle all your decisions, so don't proceed without it.

God bless you IN HIS SERVICE...Diane

No comments: