Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week 2

In our study of the Lord's Prayer, we noticed that the meat of the prayer was sandwiched in praise. At the start and end there was genuine praise to God, there was thankfulness, and recognition. Praise means “to commend or magnify."

How do you feel when someone genuinely praises you? Did you love getting praise from your mom or dad? How about your favorite teacher? What did praise do for your outlook for the day?

Do you use praise during your day? Have you really given a person who crosses your path daily some real praise? If you have, how did it affect them? If you haven't, that's your next assignment. Try handing out a taste of praise to someone this week. Report back what happens.

In the Old Testament, God showed up during praise. In the temple: 2 Chronicles 5:11-14, and on the battlefield: 2 Chronicles 20:22.

Can you imagine being in a battle and your enemy sends music out ahead of the soldiers? Numerous battles through the history records the use of bagpipes during skirmishes. The sound of the bagpipe carries around 6 miles. The pipes could actually be heard above the noise of battle. The Great Highland Bagpipe is the only musical instrument ever to be banned as a weapon. The music today still sends a thrill through a crowd...could this be the type of "joyful noise" the book of Psalms speaks of?

God inhabits the praise of His people. You want to get closer to God? Try praising Him and see how He shows up.

The Psalms are full of praise songs--in fact many of today's Christian praise and worship songs come from the verses in Psalms.

Sing praise to the LORD, you His godly ones, And give thanks to His holy name. Ps 30:4 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Ps 34:1 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the LORD. Ps 40:3 I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. Ps 104:33 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD! Ps 150:6

When I've had a particularly bad day, I get out my most crazy praise CD and pop it in. It doesn't take long before my toes are tapping and my pity party turns into a praise party. Why? Because my focus is off of my self and on the One who can make a difference! Job knew this tactic very well.

Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15a

Even when I don't feel good, praise helps.

I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. Ps 139:14

In the New Testament there is the phrase, "sacrifice of praise". What do you think that means?

Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. Heb 13:15

We no longer offer burnt sacrifices to God. What He desires is not a ram on the altar. He wants your heart--not swelled with pride but humbled and ready to be molded.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise. Ps 51:17

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, {which is} your spiritual service of worship. Ro 12:1

What happens when we praise God in the midst of our struggles? Let's look at Paul and Silas in Acts 16:25-34.

There is power in praise. Not only can we change our outlook, we can break the chains of bondage to sin, temptation and strongholds.

It's inevitable. Jesus will be coming back one day. The Bible promises:

For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD." Ro 14:11

Does God depend on my praise? No. He does want to include you in the party though. If you don't add your voice to the universal choir, don't be surprised when the rocks start singing.

As He was going, they were spreading their coats on the road. As soon as He was approaching, near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles which they had seen, shouting: "BLESSED IS THE KING WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, rebuke Your disciples." But Jesus answered, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" Luke 19:36-40

In Revelation 19:5-7 there is a picture of eternal praise. Think about it. Praising God now is like choir practice.

Scriptures on Praise

  1. Make sure it is genuine! Matthew 15:8
  2. Praise can be quiet. Psalms 4:3-5, 46:10
  3. Praise can be loud and noisy. Psalms 33:3, 95:1-6, 98:4
  4. Praise doesn't have to be purely musical. Psalms 47:1
  5. It's ok to dance and move to praise God! Ps 150:4, 134:2

This week, I'd like you to try starting your day with praise to God. Pick one of the Psalms of praise and read it out loud. Don't just read it to yourself. Read it out loud and let your ears hear it. As you read each line, listen to the words, get caught up in the praise party and notice what a difference a day with praise makes!

No comments: