Thursday, January 11, 2007

Week 1

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How exciting it is to be studying the book of James. I am honored that you have chosen to study along with me.

Every single time I have “felt” defeated because of “my” fleshly weaknesses, and I did not “feel” like I was worthy enough to teach His Holy Word, God reminds me that those same weaknesses exist to keep me humble. He reminds me that teaching His Word has nothing to do with my abilities or strengths but instead has everything to do with my willingness to be obedient.

Faithful is He who calls you, and He will bring it to pass. 1 Thess 5:24

All I have to do is persevere; trusting and obeying in my Savior.

Class Description: Study and Journal the book of James.

Each Wednesday, an assigned section of James will be given to each student. The student will be asked to read the section every day and to write or journal their thoughts regarding the passage. Since the book of James is very practical, we will be asked to put this book into action. No more pretending, no more facades, no more double mindedness, but instead we will learn how to become a brethren or follower of Jesus Christ just as James was. At the completion of the class, students will be aware of how they personally handle trials in their life; if they are doers of the Word or a merely hearers only; if they show partiality in dealing with people; if their faith is seen by their works; and finally if they are a friend of this world.

James will teach us the “how to” of Christianity. He is going to teach us how to totally surrender our life to Jesus and how to boldly live for Him.

Introduction to James

St. Francis of Assisi once invited an apprentice to go with him to a nearby village to preach. The young monk quickly agreed, seizing an opportunity to hear his teacher speak. When they arrived in the village, St. Francis began to visit with the people.

First he stopped in on the butcher. Next a visit with the cobbler. Then a short walk to the home of a woman who’d recently buried her husband. After that a stop at the school to chat with the teacher. This continued throughout the morning. After some time, Francis told his disciple that it was time to return to the abbey.

The student didn’t understand. “But we came to preach,” he said, and we haven’t preached one sermon.”

“Haven’t we?” questioned the elder. “People have watched us, listened to us, and responded to us. Every word we have spoken, every deed we have done has been a sermon. We have preached all morning.”

The Book of James teaches us that Christianity is more action on Monday than worship on Sunday.

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?” James 2:14

James is straight to the point. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.

We know that works do not save a person, but that works mark the Christian. Our salvation alone is more valuable than any earthly treasure. And because we have been given this free gift, it only makes sense that we who have been given so much, should give much. Not just with words, but with our lives.

St. Francis of Assisi said, “Preach without ceasing. If you must, use words.”

Characteristics of the Epistle/Letter of James

Definitely written to Christian Jews/Messianic Jews from the 12 tribes of Israel who were scattered abroad from Babylon to Rome.

Who was James?

Many argue which James wrote this epistle. But I believe and will teach that this James was the Lord’s half brother, with Mary and Joseph (Matt 1:24-25) as their parents because it best fits the evidence of Scripture.

James and Jesus’ other siblings did not believe that He was the Christ.

Even though they had seen His miracles and listened to His teaching, they still would not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. John 7:5

What does this show? The person themselves bear the responsibility for responding in faith, while the person who shares the gospel bears responsibility for communicating with faithfulness.

If we as believers ever start holding ourselves responsible for whether unbelievers accept or reject the message of Christ, we are wrong in doing so.

Jesus’ own brother’s rejected him in spite of His works and words. Is that true of me? Or do people dismiss our faith because our lives show little evidence that what we say we believe is true or that it makes any difference to us?

Assignment: Take some time to journal about this revelation. Ask yourself these questions and conjure up some on your own.

Am I feeling responsible for the salvation of others? Am I disappointed or mad because God hasn’t saved someone dear to me? Am I feeling like a failure because someone I know isn’t saved?

But eventually James did believe when the Lord appeared to him after his resurrection (1 Cor 15:7). Then he became a strong believer and was numbered among the apostles. He and his brothers were among the believers who awaited the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. (Acts 1:13-14). It was not long before he became an acknowledged leader of the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15.

James is described as a Hebrew of the Hebrews, a man of the most rigid morality, faithful in his observance of all the ritual regulations of the Jewish faith. He drank no wine nor strong drink. He ate no flesh. He alone was permitted to enter with the priests into the holy place, and he was found there frequently upon his knees begging forgiveness for the people, and his knees became hard like those of a camel. He was called, “Old Camel Knees” because he was constantly bending them in his worship of God and asking forgiveness for the people. He was called James the Just. James was faithful in the observance of all that the Jews held sacred, and more devoted to the temple-worship than most Jews. He was respected by the unbelieving Jews and the Christian Jews.

James talks little about Jesus but he acts like Jesus. Next week we will discuss the parallels that the book of James has with the Sermon on the Mount. Almost everything that James says, Jesus said. He remembered everything Jesus taught and he was repeating it for reiteration.

This letter was probably written around 45 A.D., which puts it chronologically during the book of Acts. But some think it may have been the very first book written in the New Testament because there is no mention of gentile Christians or their relationship to Jewish Christians.

James was probably the oldest of Jesus’ four brothers (Mark 6:3)…probably about 10 years younger. He was probably around 40 years old when he wrote the book, if it was written in AD 45. Jesus was born around 4 BC so he would have been 50 years old in 45 AD. He was killed (martyred in 62 AD).

What’s the Letter About?

For James, religion is not about church membership, tithing, or even leading Bible Studies. True religion is “doing the truth”, not just studying it, not just listening to sermons, or not just speaking it to like minded believers.

Action is what James calls authentic faith.

What’s the Theme?

Get your life in line with what you say you believe.

He seeks to challenge the Jewish believers to examine the quality of their daily lives in terms of attitudes and actions. A genuine faith will produce real changes in a person’s conduct and character, and the absence of change is a symptom of a dead faith.

How genuine is your faith? Apparently the teacher is the one who always needs the message of the book she is teaching! Amen?

I personally had the wind knocked out of my sails when my son who is nineteen years old made mention to my husband that in his observation I hadn’t “changed” a bit. He said, “She teaches Bible Study, she reads the Bible, she studies, but I don’t see any change in her”.

Slam!

Why did God have Bryce say that? Because it is exactly what James is teaching in this letter. I personally know that I have changed, but my confidence around my son and those who “disagree” or question my beliefs, leave me pretty shaky. You see I am very spiritually “OK” when I sit amongst my Bible Study classmates…for they have watched me “change” over the last three years we have been together.

But my only son…what does he see in me? Or my husband who lives and works 759 miles away…does he see Jesus in me? Am I a genuine Christian, or am I a student of the Bible?

My first reaction was to say that they were judging me and that they shouldn’t be looking at me if they were looking for a “good” example of a Christian. They should be looking at Christ. (That’s funny since I just taught on that subject - that “we” were the only Jesus that the lost would ever see”!

My second reaction was to be hurt and say that I was not worthy to stand in front of another Bible study and teach. But I also tried to reason with the remark by thinking that they couldn’t possibly understand me. They don’t really know me.

My third reaction was to find someone to side with me to verify that I was indeed changing and was OK with God! I told my sister, “I’m this way, and it’s OK!”

I believe that statement is very true and I am very thankful for my sisters, but what does the Bible say about all this?

Then as I was studying last night I had my fourth reaction.

My fourth reaction was to laugh! JOY! Consider it all Joy, Joanie. James 1:2 JOY? You have got to be kidding? JOY? God used Bryce’s statement to begin the Bible Study! Isn’t that awesome? God uses everything we go through in life to teach us and to wake us up.

God was once again setting me up! All in a good way, of course. He was going to teach me TRUTH as I went “through” what I was about to teach.

I am about to “learn” how to show those who are watching me that I do indeed have genuine faith.

How am I going to do that? By living the teachings from the book of James and truly once for all believing what I say I believe.

Assignment for next Wednesday:
  1. Purchase a Journal or notebook.
  2. Read James 1:1-8
  3. Take each word except for articles (the, a, an) and dissect them. Write down what thoughts come to you as you study each word. Write down everything you think. Look up all the words in the dictionary. Write down everything you learn. Write the verses out in your journal everyday. Write down other concerns that you have during the week.

We are on a journey together. Let me warn you. This is going to require discipline on your part. I am not the one who can change you. Only God can. But we are delving in deep and it is in the deepest part of our soul that we will be healed spiritually, emotionally and physically.

All you have to do is say, “OK, Lord. I am willing”. He will do the rest. He promises us that He will.

God bless you as you journal your way through James. My prayer for you is that you will remain steadfast in following along. I have no idea how long this study will take. We aren’t in any hurry are we? And personally, I want to get it right this time because my only desire is that my life will truly reflect the Son, so that those who are watching me the closest will see Him through me.

joanie

No comments: