Sunday, December 23, 2007

Week 13

Way to Go!

You have completed the first 13 weeks of “The Way to Go Lightly” study where we have covered the first 12 chapters of the book of Proverbs. Studying Proverbs is pushing us to respond with wisdom when the demands of everyday life hit us. We learned that we are constantly being bombarded with different types of knowledge from the world. How we respond to that knowledge determines if we are responding wisely based on God’s word or unwisely based on our flesh.

We have compared our human body to Solomon’s temple and learned how our physical body is likened to the outer courts, our soul is likened to the Holy Place, and our spirit is likened to the Holy of Holies.

We also learned about how we try to cover up our sinful behaviors by pretending they do not exist. We learned that this is only a temporary solution and that eventually they will surface, usually in the form of disease, whether it be mental or physical. We referred to this area of our body as our “Hidden Chambers” and we began talking about how to “clean up” this part of our body.

We also learned about how the spirit, soul and body are interconnected and how the soul has a choice when faced with daily decisions. The choice is to be led by the power of the Holy Spirit within us or be led by the power of Satan. Either way, God gives us the choice. We just have to learn to discipline ourselves to take the righteous path.

We committed to follow “the Way”. This way we know from Scripture is the only Way.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

When we return we will talk more extensively about each of these areas. How does this “new creation” act? Learning is just the beginning. Acting out our faith is our goal.
1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tonguesof men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Homework for December 19, 2007
Proverbs Chapter 12

Let’s read Chapter 12 together from the New Living Translation

12:1 To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction.
2 The Lord approves of those who are good, but he condemns those who plan wickedness.
3 Wickedness never brings stability, but the godly have deep roots.
4 A worthy wife is a crown for her husband, but a disgraceful woman is like cancer in his bones.
5 The plans of the godly are just; the advice of the wicked is treacherous.
6 The words of the wicked are like a murderous ambush, but the words of the godly save lives.
7 The wicked die and disappear, but the family of the godly stands firm.
8 A sensible person wins admiration, but a warped mind is despised.
9 Better to be an ordinary person with a servant than to be self-important but have no food.
10 The godly care for their animals, but the wicked are always cruel.
11 A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense.
12 Thieves are jealous of each other’s loot, but the godly are well rooted and bear their own fruit.
13 The wicked are trapped by their own words, but the godly escape such trouble.
14 Wise words bring many benefits and hard work brings rewards.
15 Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
16 A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted.
17 An honest witness tells the truth; a false witness tells lies.
18 Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.
19 Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.
20 Deceit fills hearts that are plotting evil; joy fills hearts that are planning peace!
21 No harm comes to the godly, but the wicked have their fill of trouble.
22 The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth.
23 The wise don’t make a show of their knowledge, but fools broadcast their foolishness.
24 Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave.
25 Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.
26 The godly give good advice to their friends; the wicked lead them astray.
27 Lazy people don’t even cook the game they catch, but the diligent make use of everything they find.
28 The way of the godly leads to life; that path does not lead to death.

Prayer for help! Lord, it is as though you planned this particular chapter’s timing for us as we enter the Christmas season. Perhaps it is because we will be around family members, who upset us, or friends who irritate us, or children who have not learned the definition of gratitude. Perhaps we ourselves have not learned the definition of gratitude and will be upset if we do not receive a certain gift for Christmas. Our prayer is that we can speak only kind words that we will enter into our spirit for wisdom in all situations and not react in our flesh. We pray that you will keep our minds from satanic attack and our bodies from gluttony. May anyone we encounter see the same love you showed us when we first became your daughter. Thank you for being willing to be born only to die so unjustly for my sin. I can now spend eternity in Heaven with YOU! Praise Your Name, Amen.


  1. A lot of times we can hear the word of God but obeying it is difficult. Vs 1 tells us that obedience is absolutely essential, not optional. Or you should refer to yourself as __stupid___. What is the definition of stupid? Unwise, foolish. If someone called you a stupid fool you might get a little upset, but what about the Word of God calling you that. Something to think about. How can we get better emotionally? You can not do it naturally...only supernaturally through the power of the Holy Spirit that is “perfectly” awaiting your “911.
    Psalm 30:2O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.
    We also see from this verse and just trying to become aware of all the areas of our life that need godly change, that it is not easy. Discipline is difficult. I want to encourage you not to look back, but to press forward. As God reveals the uglies of our soul, it is then that we must discipline ourselves so that these sins will not be repeated.
  2. vs 2 What is an example of wicked intentions? Wicked means: evil, sinful, satanic, devilish. Intentions means: plan, goal, purpose, deliberate. We either purpose for God or purpose for satan. Good or bad. Condemn means doom for eternity or sentence to eternity in hell. Whoa!!!!!!
  3. vs 4 is a tough eye-opener. I am sure I have caused some deterioration in Dennie’s bones. Ask yourself the tough question. Am I a crown on my husband’s head or do I cause his bones to rot? Whenever I begin my pity party of discontentment with my husband, I know it is from satan but yet I allow him to control my thoughts. Yes allow, because if I were seeking wisdom from my perfected spirit I would not have thoughts of discontentment. Also, I know that I am the one being selfish if I begin looking for ways that Dennie is being selfish. It not only sickens his body but it definitely sickens mine. My goal is to be a crown on my husband’s head. Whoa again!!!!!!!!!! How???? Putting him first and not herself. Allowing him to recognize his potential and be supportive in all his efforts. Saying only kind words about him to others and to him. How much deterioration I have caused… I have no idea. Why this is so hard for me is because I am afraid of being hurt. Funny; we chase them away because of that which we are afraid will happen.

    Challenge/idea – buy a crown for your husband for Christmas with Proverbs 12:4 attached. Discuss the verse and make a commitment to him to “try” to work towards achieving this verse. (Do this only if you truly feel a prompting from God to do so, or it may turn into a disappointing experience).
  4. vs 5 Who do you chose to receive counsel from? Someone who will cause you to go further into sin or one who points you to the Word for decision making. Ever wonder when you do receive deceitful counsel if perhaps it was given with an ulterior motive? The heart can be deceitful.
  5. Vs 5 suggests that we will eventually become what we allow our thoughts to dwell on. Paul tells us in Philippians 4:8 to dwell on what is:

    Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
  6. Vs 11 He who tills his land will be satisfied with _bread_____________.

    We must continue to work out our salvation to receive the Bread of life. Never give into the rotten leading of your flesh.

    Philippians 2:12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling
    John 6:51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

    Frivolous – impractical …. He who follows impracticality is lacking understanding. NOT WISDOM!

    This verse may be referring to being too busy but not accomplishing anything. What do you think? _______________________________
  7. Do you covet any thing another person has? Strong Godly husband and a family that talks/laughs/cries/communicates and an extended family that gathers together. Think before letting yourself off of this question. Then answer the question why? I think this would be the happiest I could be if that were mine. Vs 12 I don’t know if that is coveting or just desiring this because according to the verse, I don’t think a wicked man possesses that which I long for. Maybe if my fruit were ripe, and I was the crown of my husband, this desire would be mine.
  8. The topic of the transgression of my lips (vs 13) just keeps coming up throughout Scripture. Am I learning about the importance of keeping my mouth/tongue behind bars?
    Words can bring destruction or bring peace. What do my words bring? When I am self focused they bring destruction. When I am focused on God, they bring peace. Help!!!! Forgive me Lord for the destruction I have caused due to my selfishness.
  9. vs 17 Speaking truth with no exaggeration to make you look good in front of others may be something you struggle with. But the tongue of the wise promotes health. What does this verse say to your spirit? __Forgive me Lord for my foolish attempt to look good in front of others by saying unkind or unnecessary things about another person. It is becoming obvious to me that health comes more from the words I speak rather than the foods I eat. Purge my mouth and my hidden chambers. Allow me to look at my faults with a magnifying glass and other’s faults as your concern not mine. Allow me to stop fearing what others think of me and that others may reject me. Guard my desire to act and speak in the flesh, but that I may go into my spirit for healing.
  10. Health comes more from the words that I think and speak, rather than the foods that I eat.

    Calculate your deceiving heart’s attempt by writing down any thought or words used to talk about someone.

    Deceiving – mislead …. Your soul is going to react in it’s natural response but do not be deceived or mislead by your flesh.

    I assume everyone wants to “agree” with me when I say sarcastic (cutting remarks, ridicule). God has brought this to my attention and I appreciate the person who disagrees with me about my comment. Then I tried to back-pedal and say…. Well, I didn’t mean it…. When really I did mean it. YUCK!

    Antonym of sarcasm: compliment, praise, appreciation. That sounds like the woman I want to be.
  11. vs 25 Even when life is really tough, kind words are so important to hear. Tough times bring tough decision making, and that is something not too many of us have as our #1 thing to do. How exciting is it when you receive a message from God via a devotional, a person you run into that you haven’t seen in a long time, a word from the word, a phone call. Can you name an incident where this happened?

    Beth called me from a conference she went to and told me that the speaker’s theme was healing spiritually, mentally and physically. Her call came when I was soaking in pity over myself. I appreciated her words of encouragement to me that what I was teaching was being reinforced through the teaching of a well-known speaker.
  12. Start evaluating your friends. (and family members) Vs 26 Are they leading you astray? Stray away from them if they are causing you to stray away from God.
    Are you a friend to someone you are leading astray? Be careful.
  13. Vs 28 says: NLT The way of the godly lead to life; that path does not lead to death. What does it mean to follow “The way”? vs 28… NKJ In the way of righteousness is life, And in its pathway there is no death.
  14. Could you explain what things means? _not sure what I meant here ~J__

    Following “The Way” is following the example Christ set for us. How do you do that? By knowing what the Word of God says about you as a Christ follower. You are the only Jesus some people will see today. That is pretty powerful!


Homework due January 9, 2008! 2008 is going to be great!
Proverbs Chapter 13 2008 -- a new women He will create! J

  1. Exercise your spirit by reading back through chapters 10, 11, 12, and 13. This is where the practical teaching began. Write out anything you missed before and be ready to share it in class on the 9th.
  2. Exercise your soul by practicing random acts of kindness. This may take a little preplanning or might come spontaneously. If a thought comes to you, act on it immediately.
  3. Exercise your body by walking a little further than usual, stretching, practice your yoga positions, or lift weights.
    Do not allow the enemy of laziness creep into your life. You’re on “the Way” to Go Lightly! These questions were taken from NLT.
  4. vs 1 We have been seeing this word discipline over and over and over. Make a list of the areas God is speaking to you about because I know He has brought up a thing or two! Then exercise your spirit by applying the Word to this area of your life. The soul and body will love you for it!
  5. vs 2 I took this verse to mean that if we “love” others, others will want us to feast at their dinner table. You know, I think we should start inviting each other over to eat at our dinner tables. Then when we get comfortable with that, I think we should invite neighbors over to eat at our dinner table. It is easy to invite family (sometimes), but how about people that don’t look, sound, smell, or act like us.
  6. Diarrhea of the mouth is a curable disease! Take one “Proverbs 13:3 verse” and call me in the morning! I teach people how to eat in order to obtain a long life, but now I see that Scripture says that shutting up will have the same results!
  7. vs 4 It is hard not to judge obvious laziness. But I need to look at the hours I spend idle. How much time am I spending being “busy” but yet unproductive for the work of the Kingdom?
  8. vs 6 Godliness guards the path of the blameless, but the evil are misled by sin. Apply this verse to our theme verse (1 Thess 5:23-24) Why is it that we are not blameless? We are obviously choosing to act in the flesh. Choose the spirit instead.
  9. vs 9 The life of the godly is full of LIGHT and joy, but the LIGHT of the wicked will be snuffed out. The Way to Go LIGHTLY ministry is about choosing the LIGHT of the WORLD. Am I seeing this repeated over and over. Repetition is a good thing. It breaks through hard heads and stubborn personalities and begins to penetrate the soul. JOY JOY JOY
  10. Get rich quick (vs 11) Multi-level marketing, stock markets, real estate…it is all a gamble as we have seen this last year. God’s word says, wealth comes from hard work. Slow and steady wins the race. Vow not to be sucked into any thing that promises quick wealth.
    Try in 2008 to receive constructive advice from those you respect (vs 13). Don’t take it personal (like I do) but see if there is any validity to what they are saying. We can’t see ourselves other than through a mirror and mirrors are often pretty distorted and blurry.
  11. vs 16 Wise people think before they act. I act before I think. Again this is natural, but can be stopped. I have to resist the natural and overpower it with the spirit. STOP ME LORD BEFORE I MAKE A FOOL OF MYSELF.
  12. vs 17 This made me think of how distorted a conversation can become about someone you are talking about. It not only doesn’t make you healthy but also does not make them healthy. In 2008, vow to only talk words of edification (building up someone). OK, that’s a biggie!
  13. vs 18 - 20 Accept criticism, walk with the wise, or be foolish. Elaborate on this verse from an incident in your life.
  14. vs 24 – this rod is between you and God. Stop judging others for the way they discipline their children. We have not lived their life nor have we walked in their shoes. It is so easy to criticize other women’s parenting. STOP and LOVE them.
  15. vs 25 NLT says: The godly eat to their heart’s content, but the belly of the wicked goes hungry. There you go! God gave you permission J

    Wait a minute……….the New King James version says this:

    The righteous eats to the satisfying of his soul, but the stomach of the wicked shall be in want.

    Now you see the difference between versions of the Bible and how some versions may lead a godly person to actually believe they could eat to their heart’s content. But what does this verse actually mean? (so sorry L)

    Do not forget to study the verses I gave you from last week’s lesson.
    Romans 14:1-23 Gal 5:13-26 Gal 6:7


    God bless each of you and may the God of peace be with you and keep you safe until we meet again on January 9th, 2008!
    I love you!

Take time to rediscover the baby in the manger.

No comments: